Mobile App Or Website – Which One You Should Develop First?

Mobile App or Website — Which to Develop First
March 03, 2020 | 3 min read

In today’s fast-paced digital world, having a digital identity has become a necessary step for all business owners. However, there is a never-ending confusion regarding the best digital platform selection, the mobile app or website?

While entering the market with your startup, it becomes crucial to decide the right platform for approaching the mass. Now, considering the launch of an application is the secondary matter in your priority list.

Mobile App and Website

Every startup entrepreneur first needs to understand the usage of a website and an application to choose which to develop first. As the world is into developing all manual-based applications from a digital perspective, firms are engaged in launching new websites that will attract a good range of customers on their side.

Applications act as a subordinate for this matter. Applications are necessary as they provide a user-friendly and immediate purchase of any goods from your smartphones, tablets, or laptops. Even with the advancement of artificial intelligence and technology, websites and applications run parallel to the users.

A website is the key form of worldwide acknowledgment of a firm. With the advancement of CRM technology, a website can post good blogs to make people aware of the product. Depending on the budget, product routine, requirement of tools, marketing annexure operating schedule, a website is far more critical than an application. 

The main difference between a website and a mobile application lies in its accessibility and availability. An application is included for enhancing word processors, database programs, web browsers, and communication platforms.

An application reaches only a limited amount of consumers as an application is developed for a particular operating platform or operating system initially. For separate operating systems, different applications have to be built. 21% of web traffic comes from mobile phone-based applications, and the rest 79%, is a precise calculation of web traffic management and analysis from websites. Thus, the difference between applications and websites lies in the target audience that the entrepreneur has chosen in the market space.

Factors to consider before developing a mobile app or website

Better speed

The world is becoming fast-paced, so is internet exploration. The mobile application might be fast and ready to use, but it is time-consuming for installation. A mobile app needs systematic development and up-gradations but can be accessed offline. Likewise, mobile websites are much faster browsing and require a high-speed internet connection. If your business focuses on noting down offline notes and performing computations, an application can be an appropriate choice.


Developing a mobile application for any operating system such as Android or iOS is always way costlier than website design. For startups, the cost of a mobile application is much more of a burden. You have to develop a different mobile application for different platforms, whereas developing or upgrading a mobile website is responsive because it works on all platforms. If you have a tight budget, choosing a mobile application is not a variable option.


Most of the websites have a static navigational user interface. But the mobile application is a better mechanical phenomenon. A mobile application is a custom-made design, keeping in mind the adaptability of a user. In websites, the user interface is not interactive and revolves around the usability issue. On the other hand, if you consider an application for your business, a mobile application fits perfectly for a startup in gaming.

Conclusion – Mobile App or Website?

In 90% of cases, you need to start primarily with website development. But considering the nitty-gritty, you need to decide which platform can be used to describe your company’s operational goals better. As we progress, creating engaging digital experiences will become essential. As customer expectations continue to increase, so will competition. It’s here where apps can give your business the lead and help you succeed in an increasingly mobile-first world.


About the Author

Scalex is a digital engineering company that partners with startups and SMBs to provide end-to-end product development services by leveraging the power of digital technologies such as Mobile, Cloud, and Analytics.